COVID-19: China shuts down city after failed bid to contain second coronavirus outbreak

0000000 2nd Wave Jilin

The district recorded three new locally transmitted cases and one further death. It comes one week after Shulan, which is administered by Jilin, went on lockdown and quarantined 8,000 people in a failed bid to contain the second outbreak. On Saturday, the local government sacked six officials, including Shulan Communist Party Chief Li Pengfei, over their handling of the second wave, which has so far resulted in 18 confirmed cases since May 7.

Fengman District has recorded 12 cases of local infection in the same period and was put on lockdown starting today after a 15-point directive from the local health commission. The Wuhan-style travel restrictions include bans on all outbound foot and vehicle traffic, as well as the closure of schools and entertainment venues such as cinemas, gyms and restaurants. Residential districts have been hit with personal restrictions, with each household only allowed to send one member to shop for essentials once a day.

All shops and the majority of supermarkets in the districts were also shut today, while city officials were also gathering testing kits and protective equipment for health workers. Pictures and videos shared on social media app Weibo show shutter doors closed and streets barricaded and nearing empty as the restrictions came into place at the weekend. Jilin Ice Sports Center was converted into a field hospital within 48 hours and is now ready to accept patients following an order on May 15. It was still unclear which category of patients would be sent to the winter sports arena. Last week, a video also showed secondary school pupils being sent home as case numbers grew. Classes had only just resumed on April 7 after much of China declared victory over the coronavirus outbreak.  –Daily Star

COVID-19 Flr

This entry was posted in Black Swan Event, Disease outbreak, Earth Changes, Emerging disease threat, Extinction Threat, Health guideliness issued, High-risk potential hazard zone, Martial Law, New virus reported, Pestilence Watch, Quarantine and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to COVID-19: China shuts down city after failed bid to contain second coronavirus outbreak

  1. pendantry says:

    Classes had only just resumed on April 7 after much of China declared victory over the coronavirus outbreak.

    That’s bizarre. How can any nation ‘declare victory’ when the pandemic is raging elsewhere? Are they going to stop everyone crossing the border?

    Liked by 1 person

  2. niebo says:

    Hate to be “that guy” but . . . if NY is any indication, and if Sweden is any indication, lock-downs are worse than letting the virus run its course.

    Just sayin’.

    Like

All comments are moderated. We reserve the right not to post any comment deemed defamatory, inappropriate, or spam.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s