China reports 27th death from H7N9 – 40 die in meningitis outbreak in Guinea

May 4, 2013CHINAThe death toll from the H7N9 bird flu virus has risen to 27, state media said Thursday after a man died in central China’s Hunan Province. The 55-year-old whose surname was given as Jiao died on Wednesday after receiving medical treatment, state news agency Xinhua said, citing local authorities. More than 120 people have been diagnosed with the virus since it was first reported in late March, with most cases confined to eastern China. The only one reported outside the mainland has been in Taiwan. That victim was infected in China, but led to Asian countries urging renewed vigilance against the virus. Experts fear the possibility of the virus mutating into a form easily transmissible between humans, with the potential to trigger a pandemic. The World Health Organization has said so far there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission but warned H7N9 is “one of the most lethal” influenza viruses ever seen, and urged travelers against contact with live poultry. Chinese researchers, reporting in The Lancet a week ago, said they had confirmed poultry as a source of the virus. Chinese health officials have acknowledged so-called “family clusters,” where members of a single family have become infected, but have not established any confirmed instances of human-to-human transmission. Most of the cases reported have not yet resulted in death, and some patients have been discharged from hospital after apparently recovering. China confirmed 19 new cases of the virus in the week leading up to May 1, Xinhua said. But the number new cases in Shanghai has seen a “dramatic slowdown,” Nancy Cox, director of the influenza division at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said last week, describing the slowdown as “very encouraging.” –Terra Daily
40 die in meningitis outbreak: Conakry Guinea — Health officials say a meningitis outbreak has killed at least 40 people in the West African nation of Guinea. Conde Lansine, a doctor in the eastern city of Siguiri, said Tuesday it is feared that far more people are dying in remote villages and are not included in that toll. Siguiri, near the country’s border with Mali, has been the hardest-hit community, and Lansine said it was believed that hundreds may have died since January. Eastern Guinea is hit annually with meningitis cases, though doctors say this year has been much deadlier. Meningitis is an infection of the lining that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. –Angop
About these ads
This entry was posted in Civilizations unraveling, Dark Ages, Disease outbreak, Earth Changes, Earth Watch, Environmental Threat, Fungus outbreak, Mass animal deaths, New virus reported, Pestilence Watch, Prophecies referenced, Time - Event Acceleration. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to China reports 27th death from H7N9 – 40 die in meningitis outbreak in Guinea

  1. tonic says:

    H7N9 is becoming more and more dangerous by the day. It is capable of, and already displayed, rapid mutation. I know we have had many scares before in the past with potential pandemics, but this one deserves our attention.

  2. ALBIRRR says:

    CHINA AND SAUDI ARABIA WILL BE THE SOURCE OF TWO NEW HYPER PANDEMIC THIS YEAR..

  3. Tony says:

    If people stopped working on these viruses maybe then there would be less dying as result !!!

All comments are moderated. We reserve the right not to post any comment deemed defamatory, inappropriate, or spam.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s